I am a senior principal researcher in the Office of the CTO, Azure for Operators at Microsoft. My research focuses on building trusted and secure systems, but I am interested in all aspects of systems research.
I am very proud when my research has impact in practice. Over the years, together with my colleagues, I have been fortunate to:
- influence the DRAM industry to start addressing the threat of Rowhammer attacks.
- ship a cloud service used by 20+ million users.
- build the reference implementation of the firmware TPM.
- build one of the first face recognition-based payment systems, six years before Amazon Go was launched.
Prior to coming to Microsoft, I was a faculty member of the Computer Science Department at the University of Toronto. I received my Ph.D. from the Computer Science & Engineering department at the University of Washington. I am an ACM Distinguished Member.
The good folks at Microsoft Research recorded a podcast with me on Rowhammer and wrote a blog post on my work and background.
I also maintain a page with brief articles on various topics on Rowhammer.
For more short articles on Rowhammer, see this page.
“My face, my rules”: Enabling Personalized Protection against Unacceptable Face Editing
Zhujun Xiao, Jenna Cryan, Yuanshun Yao, Yi Hong Gordon Cheo, Yuanchao Shu, Stefan Saroiu, Ben Zhao, and Heather ZhengPETS 2023
How to Configure Row-Sampling-Based Rowhammer Defenses
Stefan Saroiu and Alec WolmanDRAMSec 2022
MOESI-prime: Preventing Coherence-Induced Hammering in Commodity Workloads
Kevin Loughlin, Stefan Saroiu, Alec Wolman, Yatin A. Manerkar, and Baris KasikciISCA 2022
- HotMobile 2023: Program Committee member.
- ASPLOS 2023: External Program Committee member.
- DRAMSec 2022: Program Committee co-chair.